Texas Hold 'em

All general topics discussing poker go here

Texas Hold 'em

Postby Edwyn » Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Hey guys, is there anyone here bitten by this particular bug? For recreation purposes only, of course!

I won't pretend to be an expert player here and there's plenty can whoop my ass but you just got to love it for testing the gray matter while having a pretty good time too. Anyone have any great stories to tell? I'd love to hear them and maybe I'll tell some of my own too.

Like the time a few days ago when I was holding a pair of jacks with a 4, 7, and 9 different suits in the flop. There were five other guys round the table and only two folded. Tense stuff got tenser when another jack dropped at the turn. I would a felt better if someone else had folded on that round but they all stayed in. Crazy. I raised and so did they but we're talking big raises. The pot was suddenly over eight grand and I was sweating.

I know what your thinking... another jack at the river, but no, that would a been too easy, but a magicalal fairy tale story nonetheless.

No... another 4 turned up. I was sure one of the guys was sitting on a two 4s hole. I was expecting amassive raise but it didn't come, although I guess a grand is a fair size raise. No one folded so it was pretty obvious I was playing three jacks to three 9s, three 7s and maybe four 4s. Even so, at the end of the round the pot was standing at 14g when I had to make my decision.

I was on the point of folding but the devil on my shoulder said to stay in there. So I did. Glad I did too.

The guy with the 4s was actually holding 4,5 clubs and the 7 clubs in the flop meant a possible flush/straight, so he ended with three 4s. Was still a big chance except everyone else was beating him and I took the pot. Guess it was my day! 8-)
Edwyn

Re: Texas Hold 'em

Postby Terry » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 am

That sounds like it was a pretty electric game Ed. I play a little poker when I get the chance, but I'm certainly no expert. In live games I'm sure I give myself away like a leaky sieve LOL. Online I've won a few hands - its easier because they can't see your face. But I've lost more than I won at that game, so playing its more for enjoyment than anything else for me.
Terry
Site Admin

Postby Zit » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Hey now your talkin my language. Man, I perfer online to playing real peeps cause I can't hide whats in my hands behind a dead pan face, you know? Online is cool as long as you get plenty of newbs around the table you can beat them easier. Even some experienced guys can be beat easier online then round a real table eyeball to eyeball!
Zit

Postby Edwyn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Now that's pretty true zit, I prefer playing with real people cause you can read them better. I find online a little cold and clinical for my liking, but its an interesting diversion every now and then. There's a problem in you can't always tell who the newbs are from the pros, at least not in the beginning. I'm sure some of those guys pretend to be really bad and then pounce when the pot gets real big. ;)
Edwyn

Postby Terry » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:23 am

Edwyn wrote:I'm sure some of those guys pretend to be really bad and then pounce when the pot gets real big. ;)

I'm convinced that is exactly what a lot of good players do. Like hustling pool they play a few hands and look really bad and let you win easily. Then when you think they're easy pickings and the pot gets really big, they pounce! I think it pays to treat every player as a potential trough adversary and don't let up your guard for a second!
Terry
Site Admin

Postby Edwyn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Hey everyone, it's been awhile. Just wanted to drop in and see if anyone else has anything to bring to this table since I took a leave of absence.

I guess there's some downsides to getting older, one of them being I tend to want to spend less time socializing online than I once did. What's that about I wonder? Anyway, I thought you might like to know I've been playing a regular Saturday night table with some hardass friends who are big into poker. It started low bets like most things and grew to ever bigger ones until its gotten to the stage where the buy-in is a pretty serious hundred bucks and there's no limit on the pot anymore.

Lucky we all can all afford seriously big bankrolls that we can write off without worrying about it or we wouldn't do it and stay friends for long!

So is anyone else playing for real... and I do mean for real?
Edwyn

Postby Mandy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Edwyn, since Christmas some of my friends and me have been getting together to play poker and I have to say it's pretty addictive! We're only rank amateurs at the game but we're learning by our mistakes and getting better bit by bit.

It was Texas Holdem we first chose as it looked to be fairly easy to learn the basics and it made sense since that's the game played by the big professionals and I always try to see what's happening at big events like WSOP. It's a great game to play with real people and I've even ventured onto the virtual table or two to try my luck. No success there yet, but I'm hopeful!
Mandy

Return to General Poker Discussion